Saturday, August 21, 2010

A little more surreality

So, I only have a week and a half left here in Bulgaria before I'm off to new and different places. I really like Bulgaria. The people are super nice, and Sofia especially is a city of layers. It's kind of run-down appearance is exceptionally deceiving. For every graffitied, crumbly building, there is a lovely old style house and a delicious restaurant. The streets are abandoned by about 10pm on a Friday night, but there are big get-togethers deep in the public parks where there are improvised bars and stage and dance floors. And have I mentioned how much I love how cheap Bulgaria is? It's fantastic! I can easily get dinner and a beer for about 7 leva, which is about $5. :)

This past week in class things calmed down a little bit. It's the eye of the hurricane though, because this next week is going to be CRAZY busy. I teach three times and have a couple essays due. But overall, things are progressing, including the job search. Details will be forthcoming...

This morning I experienced for the first time the British classic beans on toast. Who would've thunk I would have to go to Bulgaria to try it? I'm not sure how I feel about it. Beans for breakfast? I mean, I guess I had ful in Egypt for breakfast, but I tried to avoid it as much as possible. Verdict? I'm glad I tried it, but I think I'll leave it to the Brits. Give me some yogurt and fruit any time!

So, as time is dwindling here in Bulgaria, plans are slowly shaping up for a two week tour of the Balkans before shipping out for parts unknown. It looks like Lauren and I are going to try to hit up about seven countries in a couple weeks!! And there will be passport stamps! :) These things make be very very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment